Situated on 20.6 acres in one of the Philadelphia Main Line s most exclusive areas, Linden Hill is a historic and rare opportunity to experience true estate living. The main residence, guest house, grounds and gardens are in excellent condition, having been magnificently maintained by the present owners. The property is notable for its world-class architecture and its very private, park-like setting. Designed between 1928 and 1931 by Edmund B. Gilchrist for stockbroker Rodman Ellison Griscom, the property was owned for more than 50 years by the Dorrance family of Campbell s Soup Company. Enter Linden Hill's very secluded grounds and travel past fenced pastures and stone outbuildings reminiscent of the quaintest of French villages. An initial courtyard formed by a turreted caretaker's quarters, a 10-car garage, stables and additional 2-bedroom guest house is also available to purchase, and compliments the main residence, represented by this listing. The magnificent manor home and cour d'honneur is a majestic example of French Normandy-inspired design of breathtaking scale and symmetry. Enter around the initial courtyard , where brick chimney stacks cleverly frame the main house, and behold a truly historic mansion, beautifully maintained with complete respect for its origins, yet offering every modern amenity. Its grand-scale formal rooms offer elegant and easy, expansive or intimate entertaining spaces. Private quarters are equally inviting with family living quarters that accommodate guests for short-term or extended stays. Beyond the main house are two pools, a pool house, tennis court and a beautiful aviary, all set within absolutely stunning gardens and grounds. As a picturesque legacy property that can also serve as a family and corporate retreat, look no farther than the timeless and spectacular Linden Hill, in close proximity to renowned schools, horse trails, fabulous shopping and restaurants, trains, Center City Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport and more. A rare jewel.
Single Family, Single Family-Detached, Traditional, 2 Story
LOWER MERION TWP
8 Full/2 Half
Hot Water Heater, Gas Water Heater, Public Water S
14,467 sq. ft
Yes - 1 space
Other, Cable TV, Natural Gas, Electric service available
Detailed Room Information
- Studio Efficiency
- Dining Area, Formal
- Butler Pantry, Eat-In Kitchen, Gourmet Kitchen, Island
- Microwave, Range/Oven Built-in, Cook Top Range, Dishwasher, Dryer, Exhaust Fan/Hood, Double Oven, Self-Cleaning Oven, Range Hood, Refrigerator, Six Burner Range, Appliance Center, Washer, Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Hardwood, Tile, Other, Carpet, Wood, Stone
- Central Air, Gas, A/C - Other
- Gas Heat, Hot Water. Radiant.
- Full, Partially Finished, Entrance Outside
- 4. Marble, Mantle, Wood-burning, Stone.
- 2+ Access Exits J, Main Level Entry, Other, Entry Level Bedroom.
- 24 Hour Security, Monitor System, Security Gate, Security System, Alarm -Smoke/Fire
- Additional Interior Features
- Attic Storage, Breakfast Area, Built-Ins, Cedar Closet, Chair Rail, Combination Living/dining Room, Crown Molding, Curved Stair, Open Floor Plan, Recessed Lights, Wainscoting, Window Treatment, wine storage, Wood Floors, Fire Alarm System, Multiple Phone Lines, Cathedral/vaulted Ceiling, 9Ft+ Ceilings, Tray, Vaulted
Exterior / Lot Features
- 1 Garage Spaces. Street Parking, Circular Driveway, Private.
- Pool Description
- Heated, In-ground
- Lot View
- Panoramic, Scenic, Valley, Trees/Woods, Pasture, Pond
- Sloped, Level
- Additional Exterior/Lot Features
- Exterior Lighting, Out Building, Playground, Tennis Court, Front Yard, Landscaped, Back Yard, Side Yard, Trees. Backs To Trees, Cleared, Front Yard, Landscaping, Level, No Thru Street, Open, Partly Wooded, Pond, Premium, Private, Rear Yard, Secluded, Sideyard(S), Sloping, Trees/Wooded, Vegetation Planting, Other.
- Community Amenities
- Horse Trails
Active Market Trends
Median list price
Days On Market
Properties For Sale
Sold Market Trends
Median sold price
Median Sq. Ft. Price